Most of the Area Societies are proud of their history and origins and the Welsh Budgerigar Society is no different in this respect. Their formation dates back as far as the mid 1930's and a look through the record books indicate that the society first became affiliated to The Budgerigar Society in 1938. It was some time later, because of some difficulty with boundary problems and a question as to whether Monmouthshire was in fact English or Welsh that the society became known as "The South Wales and Monmouthshire Budgerigar Society", and the first President of this newly named society was Alderman R G Robinson JP. Getting Mr Robinson to become the first President was an achievement in itself, as he was obviously very much involved in the local politics of the area, going on to become Lord Mayor of Cardiff from 1947 to 1949. Boundary problems once again came to the fore in 1994, and a unanimous decision by the Annual General Meeting that year made the decision to change the society name back to "The Welsh Budgerigar Society".